Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More cattle in the desert

HBFG asked me what the bulls ate. Thought by way of a response I would add another post. Before finding the boys in the last post I came across this group of youngsters. There is no grass here. Perhaps last month there was but this herd of heifers or steers would have made short work of that tender and sparse new grass.
The ground is parched and there are is no shade. The animals are an Angus Hereford cross. Black cattle in this heat are probably not thrifty (or so I've been told) as they stop eating and lie down on the ground. No eating therefore no weight gain. This group is up because my walking around them made them uneasy. Not easy to be a prey animal. Perhaps the agricultural group here puts hay or grain out in the morning or evening when it's cooler.
There was fresh running water and none of the animals were at the trough.

Do you know where your beef comes from???????

No comments:

Post a Comment